Sunday, February 19, 2006

DON'T DISMISS ME JUST BECAUSE I ADMIT TO WATCHING "THAT SHOW"


WHY DO I TUNE IN TO AMERICAN IDOL?

Quite simply, because I enjoy music. Strike that......I LOVE music. Growing up, I peacefully drifted off to sleep every night with music playing at my bedside. I've played piano for 33 years, clarinet for 29, and bass guitar for 24 years.....(although none of them well) ;-). And vocally, I can harmonize adequately for all intents and purposes (in the tenor range, actually). Of course, if "American Idol" had existed when I was in MY twenties, (the age of most of the contestants) there's NO WAY anyone could have gotten me up in front of those judges. (Remember, I said "harmonize"--as in: DEFINITELY
not "lead").

Frankly, as a Christian, I've always thought that they could have come up with a better name than "American Idol," but then, no one ever asked my opinion. A teenager commented the other day that there should be a "Christian Idol"........I responded, "Christian Idol? Now wouldn't that be an oxymoron?" We already have enough Christian artists being idolized, anyway, don't we?

I don't vote for the contestants on "Idol," nor do I idolize them or the show. I don't skip church services on Wednesday nights to stay home and watch. (I TiVo it. :-)) I really just like to watch and listen. Sometimes, I'll look away from the television, or close my eyes, and really LISTEN to the vocals. I'm always pulling for the underdog--the one that maybe lacks the "look," but still possesses a great voice. I like to choose one gifted artist who's neither vain or jaded, and pull for them to advance in the competition. My picks have come in second place for three years running. Apparently, there are two blocs of voters--the teeny-bopping crowd who mostly support the bubble gum, potentially commercial contestants, and the older segment who mainly vote soley based upon vocal ability. However, the teenage voting public seems to consistently cast more votes, season after season.

"American Idol" takes the American spirit of friendly competition, and gives it human form. I do prefer the episodes that air after the auditions are over. At that point, the drama, and the auditioners' stunts and escapades are but a distant memory. The competitors become more sincere in their craft, and the show really gets intriguing. To be sure, "American Idol" is one of a handful of shows that I watch on a consistent basis. The others are "Family Ties," "Bonanza," "The Andy Griffith Show," and "Little House on the Prairie," all which air on TV-Land. (As a young girl, I dreamed of growing up to be like Caroline Ingalls, and of some day marrying a man like Charles :-)). I also tune in to "Hannity and Colmes," which airs on the Fox News Channel. And occasionally, I check out some of the prime time news shows on the major networks--20/20, Primetime Live, etc., and major sporting events (such as the Olympics). But I'm very selective about the shows I deem worthy of my time, and American Idol falls into that category for me, even it's merely for the simple reason that I enjoy the show.

And by the way, my pick this season? Taylor Hicks, fellow southerner. A nostalgic, R & B guy. You'll love his voice.
(He's slated to sing a portion of Elton John's "Levon," on February 22nd's show).
(See my previous post for more on young Taylor).

In my next post, I'll expound on my musical preferences....(that should be a real "doozy"). :-)

1 comment:

T. Suzanne Eller said...

I personally love American Idol. Perhaps that is because Carrie Underwood lived 20 miles from here, but it's really because it's awesome to watch the musicians develop (or not) as the show progresses.

My favorites? Bucky and the rocker (just forgot his name).