Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Gimme a Break.......Psychotherapy for Infants, Now?

Now researchers have concluded that there could be long-term benefits of providing psychotherapy to patients in infancy. (Yeah, the long-term benefits could include a country club estate and a sports car in the psychiatrist's future.......wink, wink).

Here's a link to the entire article on MSN's website:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12037118/
Meanwhile, I'm including some "choice" quotes from the article.

"With a growing amount of research focusing on early brain development, more youngsters — even infants — are being targeted to receive the services of mental-health professionals."

"Psychological research on this age group is a hot topic at major universities, and last year the American Academy of Pediatrics launched a task force with at least part of its purpose to push more infant/toddler mental health intervention."

"This may cause some readers to roll their eyes — especially those who believe Americans have a tendency to pathologize and treat the slightest blip of a bad mood. " I confess....I'm one of those "eye-rolling American readers." You've got me pegged! I do give creedence to the scriptures, Isaiah 26:3, Romans 12:2, and Romans 8:6.

"With the right therapy and care, many conditions can be helped significantly and often swiftly. 'Sometimes one session or two sessions and a couple of phone consultations are all you need to take care of a problem,' Dr. Thomas Anders says." Phone consultations? With an infant? I can't even have a coherent phone conversation with my 6 year old! (By the way, Dr. Anders is an "infant psychiatrist" from the University of California).
Here you go, Dr. Anders:
Psalm 139:13-16 "13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them."

Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are from the LORD; how then can man understand his way?

Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

ETA (6/7/06): I noticed that Carla over at "Reflections of the Times" has posted an article regarding the offspring of strict disciplinarians with low levels of sensitivity, and how they (the offspring) are more likely to be fatter children by age 6. I wonder if researchers will eventually determine that failure to provide psycotherapy for your infant and toddler contributes to childhood obesity as well? (Ooops, my eyes are rolling again).

4 comments:

4given said...

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
see my eyeballs rollin'
Though their heads are swollen
I'll Keep my eyeballs rollin'
Rawhide!

Chorus:
Move 'em up, move 'em down
move 'em left, move 'em right
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
poke 'em out, poke 'em in,
Count 'em in, count me out,
blip 'em out, don't give in
Rawhide!

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them eyeballs rollin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My hearts calculatin'
My Lord will be waitin',
Be waitin' at the end of my ride.

Rawhide!
Rawhide!

4given said...

Temporary insanity plea caused by those people wanting to provide psychotherapy to infants.

By the way, I googled your name and put the results in my "Have you ever googled your name?" post.

(grin)

littlegal_66 said...

I love it! I'm with you on the rollng eyes!

That's a great post on your blog(googling your name, that is). Sorry I took so long to respond to it over there, but I've been out of town without internet access since Saturday. How in the world did I survive? ;-)

Carla Rolfe said...

You have to read Libbie's comment on the "I'm Fat" post. It made me laugh this morning.

Those British gals have it all figured out, I'm tellin' ya.
:o)