Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I WANNA LIFT MY HANDS......?

COMING SOON TO A CHURCH NEAR YOU?
Tom Ascol, Executive Director of Founders Ministries, found a "doozy" of a church sign over the weekend, (as well as a corresponding article in the local newspaper), and posted it on his Director's Blog. Apparently, this past weekend, one of the local Lutheran churches joined in the current epidemic of implementing the music of The Beatles in their worship services. Click on over there to see for yourself and to read Tom Ascol's brilliant article; he cleverly inserts titles from Beatle tunes to make his point.

Now, I like the Beatles' music as much as the next person........actually, more than the next person, but, as I have stated before on this blog, (and on other blogs), I don't believe there is ANY PLACE for secular music in a worship setting.

So, (to borrow from Tom Ascol's technique), can't we "Get Back" to using true worship songs in our worship services? "I Don't Want to Spoil The Party," but come on.......isn't there "Something" wrong with this picture? Can someone "Tell Me Why" this type of thing is beginning to occur in churches "Here, There, and Everywhere?" I wish I could say "I'm Only Sleeping," and this is just a dream. I'm praying the seeker-friendly movement would "Slow Down," but "I've Got a Feeling" we'll be seeing more and more of this practice. Some seem to think "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" in some watered-down form of the gospel. Hopefully, the response this worship service received was feeble enough that they attempt it "Not A Second Time." Sure, "There's A Place" for the Beatles' tunes, but I just don't believe it's in the house of God. ____________________________________________________________

As a sidebar, it seems strange that churches are allowed by the copyright owners to present Beatle songs in a worship venue, but the Fox television show, "American Idol" was denied the rights to use them; therefore, they cannot feature a "Beatles theme night." Hmmmmmmm.........

No comments: